Winrock International requests the support of a Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer for a 26-day volunteer assignment (including travel) located in Tamale, Tamale Metropolitan District in the Northern Region, Daffiama-Bussie-Issah District and Dorimon, Wa West District in the Upper West Region of Ghana. The volunteer will train 120 agents and producers of Sommalife Ltd. on how to produce quality consumer cosmetic products (soap, lotion, lip balm) with shea butter using locally available resources that meet required standards for the domestic and international markets; and will include training in packaging and labeling. Sommalife Ltd.’s mission is to sustain impact and income for rural people. Their major activity is resourcing local producers of various commodities (shea butter) and connecting them to international markets. Sommalife Ltd. is constantly looking out for ways of increasing income for local producers and has access to international buyers (retailers and distributors) of shea butter and other shea-based skin care products. The organization wishes to assist its local producers to diversify their business activities leading to increased and sustainable incomes. Unfortunately, its staff does not have the capacity and resources for this training and has requested for F2F technical assistance. The volunteer will also work in collaboration with the host to develop guidelines for training farmers in this regard. The placement will require a volunteer capable of working with a set of participants with low levels of formal education and based in a rural setting. The participants will in turn train their group members after the volunteer assignment. The volunteer and hosts will communicate in advance of the assignment to ensure that the host can procure the materials needed before the national volunteer’s arrival at the assignment location.
The volunteer should have the following qualifications and background:
● University degree in agro-processing and product development or relevant subject.
● Experience and knowledge in the development of value-added products derived from shea butter (or other plant-based fatty oils) and inappropriate technology in standard methods of packaging and labeling.
● Experience in training and transferring hands-on knowledge to adults.
● Good report writing, verbal and communication skills.
● Familiarity working with low education populations; ability to effectively communicate across cultures.
● Ability to use a computer for report writing and presentations without the assistance of others.