In the heart of Lagos State, a new chapter in agricultural development is being written, and its protagonist? Data. In our digital age, it’s clear: mastering data is not just an added skill but a necessity. Moreover, who better understands this than the Lagos State Agricultural Development Authority (LSADA)? With an aim to modernize farming techniques and processes, they initiated an advanced training session to merge data analysis with agriculture.
Meet Damon Walker: The Data Wizard in the Farming World
Images of tractors, fields, and crops come to mind when one thinks of farming. But for Damon Walker, it’s all about numbers, patterns, and insights. Damon was handpicked for this transformative mission because of his unique blend of expertise in both data analysis and agriculture. His journey with LSADA shows how two seemingly distinct fields can beautifully intertwine.
Learning by Doing: A Dive into Data Tools
Instead of sticking to traditional methods, Damon believed in the power of practical learning. This was especially vital for the trainees, a passionate group of students and researchers. They dived deep into the world of Google Forms for data collection, swiftly moving to Google Sheets to understand complex charts and pivot tables. And even though their 7-day training was cut short by two days, the intensity and richness of learning remained uncompromised.
A Shift in Perspective: The Power of Digital
After the training, a clear shift was evident. A majority of the participants, about 78%, experienced an ‘aha!’ moment, realizing the potential of moving from paper-based methods to digital ones. Some of their thoughts include:
- “The collaborative features of Google Drive will change how we work together.” ~ Farouk Uthman
- “I never realized how effective Google Forms and KoboCollect could be until now.” ~ Owode Rasheedat
- “My skills, especially in Google Sheets, have grown tremendously.” ~ Owagbemi Tunji
Charting the Path Ahead
With knowledge comes responsibility, and LSADA knew sustaining this momentum was crucial. They’ve outlined clear strategies:
- Peer Training: This aims to solidify the team’s digital skills over the next few months.
- Boosting Internet Access: Investing in reliable internet ensures a smooth digital transition.
- Advanced Training on Google Spreadsheets: To dive deeper into data analytics.
- Introducing KoboCollect: A step to further digitize data collection and minimize manual entries.
In wrapping up, under the guidance of Damon, LSADA’s training wasn’t just another event. It marked the beginning of a transformative journey. A journey where data-driven insights empower agriculture, painting a hopeful and progressive future for Lagos State. Winrock International is proud to be part of such transformative stories, where innovation and tradition unite to build a brighter tomorrow.